I thought I would tell everyone about what a typical day is like at the Church College of Vaiola. We usually get up around 6:30 and prepare for the day. I usually fix oatmeal with raisins for breakfast and then we are off to our office on the school campus which is about a 2 minute walk from our house. We know it is time to go because over the loud speaker (very loud, and you can hear it even with the windows closed) they play the Samoan National Anthem and then the secretary gets on the speaker and asks all the students to kindly speak in English and to follow the school rules.She then plays a church hymn over the speakers. All the classes sing and it marvelous to hear their beautiful voices ring throughout the campus. The students then go to homeroom and have a devotional for 20 minutes. Everyone here memorizes tons of scriptures but they have no clue what they mean or how to apply them or at least the younger ones don't.
| First Grade Devotional |
I usually read a story in the Primary school but before I can read it I have to look up pictures on the internet to build background knowledge. I read a story about a penguin and I had to show pictures of a rookery, seals, etc. so they could try and follow what I was saying in English. Even the teachers have limited English abilities and concept knowledge so the children don't get fluent English modeled for them. The children are so sweet and get so excited when I come to read. It really is the best part of my day. The elementary just got their first set of basals ever (Houghton Mifflin) but they have no knowledge how to use them. I went in a room and all the kids were reading orally together in a sing song voice but couldn't answer any comprehension questions about what they have read. No wonder they are struggling in the High School with comrehension questions. I started a training with the teachers on how to read the teacher's manuel etc. It is going to be a long haul to get reading instruction improved and to work on engagement strategies etc. I also need some baseline data to show the teachers where their children are really reading and understanding. Wish me luck!!!!!
| Sister Budgett teaching Primary Staff |
Elder Budgett and I are starting an EDU 385 class after the two week term break that starts next week. The class is entitled Classroom Assessment and Measurement. I am so busy with the elementary school that I am leaving the course preperation to Jim. We also will be doing a 12 credit Student Teaching course where they will have over 6 observations with a pre and post conference. I think he will be busy!!!
We usually walk home for lunch, hang some clothes on the line or spray and clean for cocroaches, ants and geckos. One almost fell on my head when I was in the bathroom!! Yikes!! My wonderful husband washed and cleaned every cubboard and dish with bleach when we moved in. They say that we have to do that every 6 weeks or so. I have to keep everything that has been opened in the refridgerator or it will be covered with critters or go soggy in one day. A head of lettuce, if you can find it at the store is $22.00 tala or $11.00 American!! Yikes, cooking here is expensive. The chicken is really gross and they only sell breastless chickens (legs and thighes with very little meat on them). I picture pretty funny looking chickens walking around Samoa.
| They brought us lunch. Any guesses? |
| Student Bus |
In the afternoon the campus is a beehive of activity. The dorm students are playing rugby or volleyball or are on cooking duty. They cook their own food by going into the surrounding forest, getting taro leaves, taro, or vegetables from the garden to make supper. You never know what the dorm students will be up to.
| Dorm Students Cooking Hut |
| Samoa National Rugby Team Age 16 |
When the dry season lasts too long the dorm students have to shower outside using the rain collection black tubs!! As it gets darker, they can be heard singing as they end their evening. They do not have any technology and are not allowed to have computers, ipods, cd's etc. in the dorms so they learn to find wholesome activities to take up their time. They go home about once every 6 weeks. The girls have adopted us as grandparents and show up at the house to visit, even after 9:30. They talked us into doing a movie night on Fridays so we are working on getting G rated movies to show. We use the projector to show them in the Hall-Gym. They are so sweet and we enjoy them!!
The longer we are here, the more I am sure the Lord knew where we were to serve. The students and teachers are so appreciative, kind and wonderful to us!! At the last faculty meeting they all stated how thankful they were to have us here!! Jim just did a presentsation on change and culture of a school and they loved it and him. They said that they loved his teaching style and could feel his love for learning and the gospel. We know we are where we are suppose to be.
| There are about 11 teachers that live on campus with their families. |
Love, Elder and Sister Budgett, Mom and Dad, Jim and Cherri, Grandpa and Grandma
Wishing you good luck as you requested. I have no doubt the Lord knew what he was doing caling you there! Your skills and knowledge and love are just what those students and teachers need!
ReplyDeleteLove, Chris
Sounds like very long days. Are movies available there or should we send you some of ours to show them.
ReplyDelete